Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Valdy and I


Last night was the kick off concert for the 53rd annual Port Sydney Winter Carnival.
Concert night at the Community Centre. This intimate venue sat about 100 people and pizza and beer were for sale.
The show started with a set by Tina Turley. She was follow by Linda Mclean. I had seen both performers before at the Empire Hotel benefit. They were pumped and put on a great show for the hometown crowd.
The headliner was Valdy. I had an opportunity to talk to him before the set….we had a chat about the Carcross Community School. I do recall hearing a story about Valdy being at the school in ’75. There is a photo of him playing on the front steps. We talked about the Yukon and he reminisced about Geroge Stokes and, of course, “dear Rosemary”. His voice is still great and he entertained the crowd with some wonderful stories.

Valdy, John Switzer, Linda Mclean and Tina Turley.

He now lives on Salt Spring island…as well as Rose. I asked him if he know Libby Barlow. He didn’t know she was also at the Community School but Libby is his wife’s chiropractor! He is on his way to the Yukon next week to play a fundraiser for the Yukon Quest dog sled race.

When Linda Maclean introduced her band, I recognize the name of the bass player…. John Switzer. I spoke with him at intermission. His dad and mine went to University together. I recall he started his career playing with Jane Sibery. (now known as Issa)

And it is a small world…you see Jane Sibery real name is Jane Stewart and she grew up in my neighbourhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment