Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A year later....

Went for a bike ride yesterday. First time on my bike in well over six week. Back pain is finally going away. I have discovered that it takes a bit longer to heal as you get older.



Well it is have to believe that it was a year ago I was doing my final packing and starting to ship bike stuff up to the Yukon. It is well overdue for a few thank you too. While I must admit my disappointment still rings in not achieving my goal…to spend all that time in planning, training, anticipating and being so public about it….is somewhat depressing.
Would I do it again? For consideration at this point.

There are some good folks who need some recognition for their efforts in helping get there. Firstly, I would like to thank Cadeyrn Craig for Axiom Gear. As well as providing me with some great bike gear, they allowed me to write a blog entry on their website. I rode a Norco Quest (Norco and Axiom are of the same family) and it was a wonderful bike for touring. In order to cover my travel cost, I ended up selling the Quest in Whitehorse but am sure the new owner is happy with it.

BOB trailer were also helpful on 2 counts. Firstly, providing me with a trailer that I was able to auction to raise fund for the Ride to Conquer Cancer and for also providing me with a trailer for the trip.

Jeff Clarkson of Schwalbe Tires offered good advice and a set of Marathon tires. Absolutely the best tires available for this type of venture.

Cliff Bars provide energy bars and drinks and they were all used up.

Genuine Innovations provided some tire pumps as well as a generous donation to the Ride to Conquer Cancer.

Mountain equip coop provided a tent...a nice lightweight biking tent.

Nielsen Bike, in Bracebridge, provided ongoing support prior to the trip, helping pack my bike and offering sage advise along the way.

Icycle Bike in Whitehorse was a great help….had a bit of a pre-trip accident and they were there to help me get he bike ready and on the plane.

An last but not least, Lynne McKinney at 3W Solutions for creating a beautiful website and providing updates for me along the way.

All the above have links from my website.

I would be remised if I did not mention all the support I received from my pals as well. Certainly my family was supportive. Numerous adjustments in my real life had to occur for me to fund this trip and take six weeks off of work.

Mike and Donna MacMillian in Whitehorse were kind enough to be my northern base. They received all the gear I sent up, offered me a place to stay pre and post trip and shuttled me back and forth from the airport.

Doug Hunter, in Dawson, took me in when I rode back to Dawson and was a great host.

Cath Constable and Lib Barlow offered support and friendship upon my return to Whitehorse as well. All appreciated.

Of course, my family from the Carcross Community….lots of support at the Reunion Crowd.

It was a great venture. Good to spend that much time by myself. I enjoyed the planning as much as the ride. I talked to Mike this past week. They are having a cooler summer this year and there is currently only one fire burning in the Yukon….what a difference a year make.

No comments:

Post a Comment