Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thanksgiving

Saturday afternoon…sun is shining and the leaves are falling. It is one of those rare afternoons when I have the house to myself….so I am cooking. Neil is cranked on the stereo and there is a Sleeman in the glass. The leave will have to wait. (I have teenagers so why am I raking leaves anyway!)

This is my favorite time of year. The colours, the change in temperature and the promise of winter. It is also Thanksgiving time….the time of harvest and bounty and counting blessing.



There are lots of blessing to count. I know I am one of the lucky ones. A great family who all love each others company. True friends who are supportive, lend a laugh and keep us motivated. The Raithby’s all showed for Thanksgiving on Saturday. Sunday was a trip to Porcupine Ridge for the annual HoggieTurkey Trot. Dinner at Bracebridge Grandmas on Sunday with the Kitchener cousins and a Monday run with the MacKinnon’s and the Dawson’s. A stellar weekend all around.

I am also lucky to have my Yukon family…..some still living in the Yukon but others stretched across this country from Libby and Trudel on the left side to Constable and Annabelle Nic on the right....and tons more in between. I do appreciate all the support and kind words this summer after the Dempster dream went a bit south from both my northern and southern pals.



The lake will get rough every now and then. Always keep the good lifejackets close.
I had a friend of mine say…and I am paraphrasing…"I didn't know so and so a year ago and if I don’t know them a year from now…well, life goes on" I guess I am in that category as I haven't heard from her in a while. If you are the only one in a friendship who is making contact….you get to wonder how important that relationship really is… I do have friendship with some people that I don’t see for years but the reconnection is heartfelt and seamless. I sure felt this while reconnecting with some of my Yukon friends this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment