Tuesday, October 6, 2009

University Touring

Sam is all set and quite happy with Life at Trent….it is now Ellis’s time to prepare.
It is difficult to make that decision on “what you want to do when you grow up” when you are only 16. I still don’t know and I am 50!

While we want Ellis to pick a program that he will excel in, I also feel that the environment has a big impact…so we are looking at schools that fit those needs too. Ellis’s guidelines are….A little urban but not too big (so that rules out Toronto and York), not Northern (out goes Lakehead, Algoma and Nipissing)….so we are looking at mid-size campuses within a 4 hour drive from home and there are lots to choose from.




Raithby House University of Guelph

We went for a tour last weekend….not to pick the University but as an exposure tour to see what will be ahead and a couple of possibilities. Guelph was the first stop last Friday.
Being a former Guelphite…I do have my bias. This was also the University for my Grandfather (Raithby House) and my Mom and Dad. It is a beautiful campus full of open spaces, old trees and old architecture. Our tour guide was great! We looked at a few residence options, where the school of business take place and a few other buildings. We finished our tour with a cup of coffee at the Daily Grind with 1st year student and daughter of my pals Carol and Bob, Tessa Webb.


Tessa and Ellis at the famous painted Canon

We had a tour of Wilfred Laurier on Saturday. Homecoming weekend. I had never been to Laurier so this was new to me too. In truth, I found it a bit claustrophobic….lots of buildings and little green space. The tour guide didn’t have the strength that the Guelph girl did and half way through, Ellis had lost interest….and so had I.
In order to help Ellis choose (and to help us, help him), we decided to seek assistance through a counselling service called “Launch….Student Career Planning”. Virginia Graham doesn’t tell Ellis where he should go but through numerous test and questions, figures out Ellis’s strengths and interest and then tries to fit the school to those issues. His strength show in business and social sciences, so he is considering a number of options.
More work to do before a final decision but it make me want to go back to school.....don't think Linda will let me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment