Monday, November 2, 2009

Facebook?


I am not sure if I really get Facebook.

When I first got asked to be someone's "friend", I thought it a bit weird. You see, we are friends and I see him at work almost everyday so why would he want to talk to me through a program? So I said to him…"I don't do Facebook".

I was a hold out for a long time but curiosity crept in. So, eventually, I do do Facebook….but with criteria. It seems if you let someone be your Facebook friend, it opens up a whole other group of people who will be asking to be your friend….so I have lots of people on my "want to be friend" list that I have not responded to. I don't mean to be rude but it looks like a never ending thing. I am just not interested in have 330 friends.

That can be awkward but if I see you at work or if Facebook is the only means for our relationship….well, I am just not interested. Some of these "Friends" request are from people that I know nothing of besides their name or place of work so why would I want to enter into some sort of Social network with them. Does that sound elitist…I hope not….they are all fine people, I'm sure, but I just don't see the point.

Having said that, I do have one friend on my facebook page that I haven't met. I have followed her blog for some time now and oddly, through one of those six degrees of separation thing, she came up as a potential friend. I asked and she said yes and I find her notes interesting and humorous.....so maybe that is the whole point!

I guess that if Facebook is the only way we are going to communicate, I would rather you just give me a call.

I do see some benefit. Most of my "Friend" are long distance Carcross people. The Carcross Community School has it's own site so I use Facebook to connect with that group. I also am a supporter of the Georgian Bay Coastal Trail group, The Peel River watershed and Cameron Helps group. I see this as a way to get the word out on a couple of things that are dear to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment