Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Santa Claus Parade '75

The Santa Claus Parade was last weekend in Toronto….that brought back a story of my youth…
Back in High School, I know this guy named John Eareaux. His dad worked for Eatons and back then, Eatons ran the Santa Clause Parade.
We were lucky enough to be chosen to be in the parade…as upside down clowns!
I was pretty excited about this….we even got the clown costumes ahead of time and spent Friday night running around the neighbourhood all dressed up.
Saturday morning I was at the dairy working for Dad. One of the machines seemed to be plugged…so…I foolishly pulled out the safety cap and stuck my hand up the machine to see what was stuck….the next thing I knew…the end of my finger was cut off!
Of course it was pretty busy at the dairy and Dad didn't have time to drive me to the hospital right away. John Derry (actual name) was loading his truck for deliveries to the west end so Dad had him drop me off at the Hospital on his way out the Lakeshore.
Four hours later (I will spare you the details), I was all bandaged up and ready to go. I had lost about 1/2 an inch of my middle finger…while somewhat traumatic, not such a big deal.
When I told the doctor that I was going to be an upside down clown the next day in the Santa Claus parade….he told me that was not advisable.

I had to explain to him that the upside down clowns don't really walk on their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment